Nag river to be sewage-free by 2034

NAGPUR: Mohammed Israil, technical consultant for project at the Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) said Nag river will be free from sewage by 2034. He revealed this in the meeting held between the and International Cooperation Agency (JICA) on Wednesday.

Four-member team of JICA arrived in the city to study detailed project report (DPR) of Nag River Pollution Abatement Project. The team comprising JICA’s senior engineering officer Yuta Takahashi, deputy assistant director of South Asia Development Zaw Zaw Aung, country officer of South Asia Development Haruka Koyama and Vidyasagar Sontakke from NJS Engineering India interacted with the NMC officials on Wednesday.

Municipal commissioner Abhijit Bangar welcomed JICA team.

Israil made a detailed presentation of Nag River Pollution Abatement Project. He also informed abour Nag riverfront development project.

- Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and analysts' ratings with our FREE daily email newsletter.

Under Nag River Pollution Abatement Project costing Rs 1,252.33 crore, the central and state government are going to provide financial assistance of 85% while the NMC will bear remaining share of 15%. JICA will give long term loan of 85% to the centre and state.

This is second visit of JICA officials to the city with first one happened in September.

Nag river is city’s iconic river and turned into sewage carrying nullah due to the sheer negligence of the NMC and NIT. Movement for conserving Nag river started with Anil Sole, now MLC, taking up cleanliness and awareness drive during his tenure as mayor in 2013. Also, the Nagpur bench of Bombay High Court passed time and again strictures on the NMC for releasing Nag river’s polluted water in Kanhan, Wainganga rivers and Gosikhurd dam. Since then, the NMC started cleaning silt, waste from the river during every summer.

Download The Times of India for Latest .